Rendering your home’s external walls can completely refresh its appearance, but it’s important to seek all relevant approval before going ahead.

Rendering your home’s external walls not only makes your property more attractive, it also reinforces its structure and protects it from the elements.

Whether you’ve decided to get your house rendered for aesthetic or practical reasons, understanding what approval is required before getting started on the job will save you a headache and extra expenses later down the line.


Planning permission

In most cases, planning permission is not required to render the external walls of your home, however there are some exceptions to this.

You may be required to apply for planning permission before rending your property if:

  • It is in a conservation area.
  • It is a listed property.

Check your property’s deeds and the section on the government’s website about protected areas if you’re not sure if your property falls into this category or not.

You may still be able to render your property providing it is in a specific RAL or British Standard (BS) colour.

Building regulations

Even if you are not required to apply for planning permission, building regulations may apply when adding external rendering to your property depending on the extent of the work.

You are usually required to seek building regulation approval if the rendering is to cover 25 per cent or more of an external wall. Regulations require you to review your property’s energy efficiency and, where applicable, install suitable insulation either inside the walls or externally under the new rendering.

Whilst adding insulation as well as rendering may seem expensive in the short-term, it will save you money on your energy bills for years to come, as well as making your home warm and comfortable.

At WPRC we provide a variety of rendering solutions suitable for different property types as well as external wall insulation, to discuss your requirements in more detail please get in touch.